Speech BubbleGive Feedback
Search site


Living with a Disability

The States of Guernsey is committed to building an inclusive and caring society and removing barriers to equality, social inclusion and social justice. This means enabling all people to participate fully in education, employment, social life and politics. It means valuing all people and giving everyone the chance to maximise their own potential. It means not disabling people by creating a physical environment that excludes them or services which don't meet their individual needs.

Disabled people – independence at home

If you have a physical or sensory impairment (for example, you are Deaf or you cannot use your arms), if you have a learning difficulty, if you have a short- or long-term mental illness, or if you have a chronic (long-term) condition, you might consider yourself disabled.

This page is meant to give you a quick summary of the ways the States can support you right now, as well as some of its plans for the future, in the Disability and Inclusion Strategy.

If you are a carer, supporting a family member or friend with an impairment or illness, this page should also tell you about the services that are available to you.

You can find out more about any of these topics by following the links in the text, or using the menus on the left and right of this page. If you have any questions at all about living with a disability, and you can't find the answers on this website, please contact disability.enquiries@gov.gg.

Disability and Inclusion Strategy
Services for People with Impairments
Support for Carers
Access in Guernsey
Useful sites
Disability Discrimination Legislation
Disability Questions and Answers
Disability and Inclusion Strategy

The Disability and Inclusion Strategy is one of the States' priorities in the Social Policy Plan. It is being developed by the States in partnership with disabled people, carers and voluntary organisations. The Strategy will aim to ensure that disabled people in Guernsey and Alderney are valued and included in all parts of our community.

Please click on 'Disability and Inclusion Strategy' if you want to find out more. 

Services for People with Impairments

Under 18
If your child is disabled, support is available through HSSD's services for Children and Young People. Please click on Children's Disability Services to find out more.

If you need financial assistance with aids and adaptations, the Social Security Department might be able to help. There are also benefits available for people (including children) with very high care needs and their carers. Click on Social Security to find out more.

If your child has Special Education Needs, there is a wide range of support available from the Education Department. This includes one-on-one assistance and peer support in mainstream schools, as well as two purpose-built schools for children with Special Educational Needs: Le Rondin School for children aged 3-11 and Le Murier School for children aged 11-19. Please click on Education and Learning to find out more.

18 and over

If you need medical support to manage illness or pain, you should start by visiting your GP. She will be able to refer you to the specialist services provided by HSSD if you need to access them.

HSSD also offers Supported Employment and Supported Living services for adults. Please click on Community Learning Disability Team if you are interested in services for people with a learning disability, and click on Community Disability Team if you want to know about services for people with physical or sensory impairments.

If you want to find out more about the support available for people with different kinds of mental illness, please click on Mental Health on the left-hand menu to find out more.

If you need financial assistance with aids and adaptations, the Social Security Department might be able to help. There are also various benefits available for people who can't work because of illness, and people who have very high care needs. Please click on Social Security to find out more.

If you need support to live independently in your own home, you might be able to access community-based care. Community Services provide support through social workers, nurses, carers and occupational therapists.

Support for Carers

If you provide full-time care for a family member or friend with high care needs, you may be entitled to receive a weekly carer's allowance. Please click on Social Security to find out more.

There are some respite care options in Guernsey, but these are very limited at the moment. Please click on Caring for Family and Friends to find out more about respite and other forms of support.

You may also be able to access support through community-based care. Community Services provide support through social workers, nurses, carers and occupational therapists.

There is also a sitting service which lets you arrange for a carer or nurse to spend a few hours with the person you care for. This can be during the day or overnight. It can give you a short break, to relax or do things you need to do for yourself.

Access in Guernsey

DisabledGo have recently carried out a survey of access in Guernsey, looking at restaurants and shops as well as public buildings. You can use their website to look up any place in Guernsey and find out how accessible it is.

Use the headings on the right of this page to access information for motorists with disabilities as well as disabled parking and permits.

Each public disabled toilet should have a RADAR sign on the door . This sign will inform you where the nearest RADAR key is available, either at a nearby public building or kiosk. Keys are also available to collect from the information desk at the Airport and at Visit Guernsey in St Peter Port.

Anyone is entitled to have their own RADAR key for their own use. Keys can be collected from States Property Services, at Sir Charles Frossard House, free of charge.

Useful sites

If you want more information or support as a disabled person or a carer, you might find some of these sites useful. 

Guernsey Disability Alliance (GDA): The GDA is made up of representatives from over 30 local disability charities, plus individual disabled people, to campaign, share information, build links and promote equality for all islanders. It has a useful Frequently Asked Questions page which might help you find your way around the services and support available to disabled people in Guernsey.

Health Information Exchange: The Health Information Exchange is a charity which runs a free information service to meet the needs of people with disabilities and health conditions. It also provides Health Travel Information for people who have been referred for treatment in the UK, and their families.

DisabledGo: DisabledGo provides online access guides with a great level of detail about a huge range of venues across the UK. They have recently carried out a survey of accessibility in Guernsey, and you can now use their website to find out if the places you want to visit in the island are accessible.

Disability Discrimination Legislation

Please be aware that there is currently no Disability Discrimination Legislation in Guernsey. There is a Law (the 'Prevention of Discrimination (Enabling Provisions) (Bailiwick of Guernsey) Law, 2004') which empowers the States to introduce anti-discrimination measures, but no provision has yet been made for disability discrimination.

Because of this, there is no specific anti-discrimination protection for disabled people in employment. However, if you have been dismissed because of disability, you could bring a case of 'unfair dismissal' to the Employment and Discrimination Tribunal, under the 'Employment Protection (Guernsey) Law, 1998'.

The United Kingdom has ratified the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, but this has not yet been extended to Guernsey.

Disability Questions and Answers

Click on Disability Questions and Answers if you want to find out the answers to some common questions about services and support for disabled people. If you can't find the answer to your question, please email disability.enquiries@gov.gg.

Translate the site

Portuguese Latvian Polish
VisitGuernseyVisit Site >
Guernsey's official tourism portal with places to visit, events and travel info.